Saturday, May 13, 2006

Religion and Politics

Two things "they" say you should never discuss... yeah right, like that is going to stop me if I have questions... I have discovered in my travels, that you can ask any question... it is all in how you approach the question... I always provide and out if they dont want to talk about it...

when in Hawaii I asked a native Hawaiian, how far back can you track your family? without hesitation or arrogance he said... "why to the beginning of course"... it gave me goosebumps... as I find religion interesting... my questions had continued... is there a Christ figure in your beliefs..."there is one white God, in our history" and incidentally when Cooke arrived at the Island the hawaiians thought he was God...and treated him as such... (bet they were suprised later)

So here in Indonesia, my questions continue... this is a Muslem country, I have seen some wearing the traditional dress, where the women cover there hair, I have not seen it to the extent of covering their faces. The staff in the hotel are very western in their dress.

However, Muslem religion is alive and well. Three times a day... the call to prayer echos from the various Mosques in the area... the call is over loud speakers, and the pattern to me sounds like a prayer itself.

I had the opportunity to speak with one of my students... Mala, she is married, 34 with 2 children, I should mention she is the 'baby' of 6 children. She spoke openly of her religion and expressed a little sadly that the perspective of the West, was incorrect...

We in the west (including me) had the perception that women were second class citizens, we are wrong. Mala explained (these are my words not hers) that woman are placed on a pedestle, worshipped almost. they walk behind not because they are second, rather to be protected. Wow, for me a lightbulb went off, in my mind i saw flashes of images that i did think made the woman a second... hmmm it is about perspective.

Also, I spoke with several women who are not originally from Bandung, that are married - and their husbands followed them with their job location... found that one suprising...

Muslems believe in prophet mohammad, a man not a god, they know of Christ, but do not believe God to be Christ's father, but do recognize the miracle of his conception... but that appears to be where the religions separate...they do not believe christ was crucified on the cross, someone was but she couldnt remember the name of who...

I should also mention that she read the Divinci Code... so has an interesting perspective herself LOL

They have here a fasting month... it is not a fixed month, but rather moves each year. This year it will be September... Fasting for a month, doesnt that make you weak? Yes she replied... I said so if Canada wants to invade indonesia, we wait till fasting month when you are all very weak - she has a good sense of humour and laughed. So you eat nothing for a month... (I have a hard time, grasping fasting - I like food too much) No not quite... they take nothing, food or drink from 5am to 6pm everyday for a month... after 6pm they can eat and drink... It is customary to have snacks at 6 that are high in sugar... (see even ancient cultures understood jumpstarting the metabolism)

Women can be excused from fasting if it is that time of the month, but are required to make up any days they missed before the next years fasting month. It is a personal responsibility to make up this time... it is not 'policed' by anyone, just the individual.

Muslem traditional culture reflects the proprieties of the early 1900's in North America, a woman would never be left alone in the company of a man. (Even a married woman - cannot be left alone with a male other than her husband or family member).

Times are changing here (it is a little sad) the apparent influence of media - my students all know Beverly Hills 90210 and the pictures of tv are changing their world - a new social issue of approximately the last 10 years or so is teenage pregnancy. This is a new occurance facing their society... And I wonder if in another 20 years, the moral traditions will have weaken/changed such that these issues will become more widespread.

Mala and I have had several discussions, and all appear to be illuminating for both of us... yesterday she thanked me for sharing perspective... those were her words... life is so much about perspective...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home