Saturday, December 09, 2006

Road Trip??

When I hear about people doing mileage runs I secretly thought them a little crazy.

Mileage Run Definition:
A mileage run is a paid/revenue airline trip designed solely for gaining maximum frequent flyer miles and/or points for no other reason than to gain the miles and/or points.

Well this year with all the time I have spent in Asia Pacific - I was one flight away from Executive Platinum (the top tier on American Airlines).

So, this past weekend I embarked on a 'points mission'.

I flew in a small 12 seater piper from Hua Hin to Bangkok (no airline miles for this puddle jumper) then from Bangkok off to Helsinki, Finland - yes Finland.

I have never flown Finnair - so I was looking forward to comparing. The experience was similar to other airlines. Though I did learn something interesting - I ordered a coffee and baileys (surprise surprise) and the coffee was so strong I had to have double baileys just to change the colour of the coffee. So what I learned - Aunt Greta's coffee (known in the family as strong) is part of her heritage - I now believe Sweden, Finland and I assume Norway like it strong :-)

It was a 10 hour flight - I did sleep most of the way. Sleeping on planes comes easy for me... Not so for many travelers...

I was a little nervous - how would immigration in Finland handle a Canadian traveling from Bangkok for a 4 hour stay then returning to Bangkok. Immigration understood the term 'mileage run' and there was no problem.

So Finland airport for 4 hours - not enough time to tour the city besides this was between the hours of 8pm - midnight and in fact the duty free shops were closed.

I did have dinner (and please do not tell anyone under the age of 10) I had reindeer meat... It was pretty good - sort of beef like, didn't taste gamey to me. After my belly was full... I needed to nap (10pm Finland time = 3am Bangkok time). So I found a double seat, pulled out the 'magic blanket' and rested. Cant say I really slept.

My departure was delayed until 1am - and we were off... Stayed awake for a drink and a salad - and that was it - out like a light... We landed in Bangkok around 3pm and my puddle jump connection was at 5pm.

The flight back to Hua Hin was uneventful - by the way that is the best kind of travel that there is.

I was tucked into bed and fast asleep by 10pm... 5:30 Monday morning came too early, feels like I didn't even have a weekend LOL

It was an investment in my traveling future... I am exhausted but feel satisfied.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home