Monday, January 15, 2007

Rules of the Road

Trainers have a standing rule... dont blink!

The moment you do your schedule will change...

well I blinked... bye bye Aruba

I blinked again... bye bye Second week of office time.

A collegue, had a death in the family and had to leave site... so I am off to Baltimore to cover for him... actually let me rephrase that, I am trying to get to Baltimore.

Another rule - stay flexible with our crazy travel schedules, things are bound to go wrong - and although it is tempting to 'kill' those around us it wont help. so this is where I find myself.

Sunday morning I was to fly to Dallas and on through to Baltimore... the shuttle picked me up at 3:30am for a 6 am flight... (I am only 40 minutes from the airport) so I arrived plenty early.

With my new airline status I took advantage and upgraded my flights (comp) to first class *big grin* I was first in line at the airport and as I placed my bag on the scale and presented my passport I was given the news... ALL flights going through Dallas had been cancelled (including the day before).

Now under the dont stress rule I had the agent research other options... route me through St. Louis - Nope, the airport has no power due to the icestorm. LA? Seattle? Denver? Chicago? Miami? Vancouver? Toronto? nothing... all the passengers from the day before had book alternate routes... other airlines - same story... No choice go back home and fly tomorrow.

I felt bad the site had me scheduled to train on Monday - and there was no way to get there. I contacted the project manager and told him my plight... not much to do...

So I went home and back to bed. I arranged for a shuttle the next morning and we will try this again... as luck would have it - the shuttle company I had used couldnt fit me in - they recommended another company - who could pick me up this time at 3AM... whatever... I slept.

3AM - luggage out, house closed up tight as a drum, and waiting, waiting, waiting, after 15 minutes called... no reservation under my confirmation number - please search by name... they found me - Yippie! However my reservation was for tomorrow morning not today... Yikes - no it is today, I assured them... so as I type they are sending a ride from the aiport up here to get me... i will not be at the airport until probably 5:30ish - not good -no first class seat on this leg and they may not let me on the plane - the rule is 45 minutes before take off with checked bags...

So I am truly under the impression that the universe does not want me to go to Baltimore...

As usual, my life is never dull LOL :-) we will see where I end up.

1 Comments:

Blogger Fiery Nature said...

Hey, since you got that nice new camera, how 'bout posting some pictures!

10:44 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home